Accelerate Your Career
Undergraduate to Graduate, or U2G, gives students the opportunity to earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in 5 years, as opposed to 6+. There are two degree tracks in the U2G program: thesis and non-thesis. As a fast track to getting a graduate degree, U2G gives students the opportunity to:
- Accelerate their career
- Compete for higher salaries
- Gain flexibility
- Gain agency
- Achieve their personal goals
Students admitted prior to the start of their 4th year are allowed to:
- Take up to 12 semester hours (s.h.) of graduate-level coursework before completing the BS degree
- Apply 4 courses (12 s.h.) towards both the BS and MS degree (courses numbered 3000 or higher)
- Enroll in ISE:5000 Industrial Engineering Graduate Seminar
- Students pursuing the thesis track may begin work on MS research with a faculty advisor during the 4th year of undergraduate studies.
Note: Credit may only be applied to courses taken once admitted into the U2G program. Credit may not be applied to courses taken prior to program admission. Graduate research credits cannot be taken by undergraduate students.
Interested in U2G?
Current students in their 3rd year (6th semester) can apply for the U2G program. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisors to discuss U2G opportunities.
“Being able to work toward my master’s degree during undergrad was huge. It doesn’t set you back. Compared to the time and cost of multiple-year programs you are saving money and you get to make money faster.”
- Completion of 80 semester hours
- UI cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Students must maintain this minimum GPA throughout the program. Students whose UI cumulative GPA falls below this minimum will be removed from the U2G program.
Interested students are encouraged to contact any faculty member in the ISE department to inquire about participation in the U2G program, including research opportunities and financial support.
Students should discuss the U2G program with their advisor during their 3rd year. Applications should be submitted during the second semester of their 3rd year, before the start of their 4th year.
- Applications are reviewed by the ISE Graduate Admissions Committee. Students will be notified of the admissions decision via email.
- If this initial application is accepted, the student must then also apply to the University of Iowa Graduate College. The department will provide instructions and an application fee waiver. Please do not apply directly to the Graduate College without seeking instruction and applying here through the ISE department first.
If you are a current student at Iowa, talk to your advisor and use this link to apply to the ISE U2G program.