University of Iowa College of Engineering thinkers, explorers, mentors, creators and inventors were celebrated for their work during the Office of Research and Economic Development’s annual Discovery & Innovation Awards Ceremony Tuesday.
Titled “Celebrating Excellence,” the 2018 event at Hancher brought together faculty, staff and students involved in research and scholarship as well as its translation into medical devices, startup companies and other commercial ventures.
Those honored in Engineering were:
Student Innovator Award, which honors undergraduate and/or graduate students conducting research/scholarly innovation or new technology development that is recognized as highly original work and has led to intellectual property.
- Gurjap Singh, a Ph.D. candidate in the College of Engineering’s Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award
- Ojas Pradhan, undergraduate student in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Faculty/Staff Startups Launched
- Research X, founded by Jun Wang, Professor in the College of Engineering’s Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, and Jing Zeng, a Lecturer in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Zwicoat Materials Innovations, LLC, founded by Marlan Hansen, Professor, departments of Otolaryngology and Neurology in the Carver College of Medicine, and Allan Guymon, Professor in the College of Engineering’s Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Joseph M. Reinhardt, United States, Methods and Devices for Labeling and/or Matching
- Milan Sonka, United States, Automated Assessment of Glaucoma Loss from Optical Coherence Tomography
- Milan Sonka, United States, Methods and Devices for Labeling and/or Matching
Licenses and Options
- CartilaGen, Inc., Tae-Hong Lim, Ph.D., A Novel Preventive Therapy for Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis Focused on Acute Inhibition of Mitochondrial Electron Transport
- HyperSolar, Syed Mubeen Jawahar Hussaini, Ph.D., An Integrated Membrane-Solar Fuel Production Assembly for Reducing Ohmic Losses and Product Separation
- IDx, LLC, Milan Sonka, Ph.D., Automated Prediction of Glaucoma Loss from Optical Coherence Tomography
- IDx, LLC, Xiaodong Wu, Ph.D., Deep Learning Based n-Dimensional Segmentation
- KLS-Martin LP, Nicole M. Grosland, Ph.D., Iowa Cranioplasty Plate (ICP)
- KLS-Martin LP, C. Allan Guymon, Ph.D., Iowa Cranioplasty Plate (ICP)