Transfer Course Guides

Transfer course guides have been created for many community colleges and several universities; see list below. These guides provide information on how courses from outside the University of Iowa will transfer in and what credit can be awarded.

If your institution of interest has a transfer guide, that is your best resource for courses to take (and how they'll transfer) for the College of Engineering. If your institution does not have a transfer guide, please review our transfer course resources below.

Transfer Course Resources

See how your courses will transfer from one institution to the University of Iowa:

degree audit checklist icon


Requires users to set-up a free account 

A plus paper icon

Advanced Placement (AP) Transfer Guide

Ensure you are reviewing the College of Engineering section 

Information circle icon

Taking Summer Courses Guide

Resources to help guide current engineering students on taking summer courses at any institution

Prospective students

If you have a question about a course that you can't find through these tools and you have not yet been admitted into the College of Engineering, visit our Transfer Admissions page for admission requirements or contact the Office of Admissions

Current students

Transfer credit not listed in the above search options will require advisor and department chair approval, except for general education courses which require approval from the Student Development Center only. Transfer credit is evaluated after the student submits a course description (a course syllabus may be requested) and a completed Course Substitution Request Form.

Receiving Credit for Transfer Work

Students who have taken college level courses through a community college or a different University must send an official transcript from that institution to the University of Iowa to receive credit. It is recommended to have official transcripts sent after final grades are released from the transfer institution.

Grade requirements

A grade of C or higher is required for transfer credit to be applied toward an engineering degree. 

Where to send transcripts 

Transcripts should be sent to our Enrollment Management team at:

Mailing address:
Enrollment Management
2900 University Capitol Centre
201 S. Clinton St.
Iowa City, IA 52242 


Have a question about transferring?

Whether you have questions about transferring credits, single courses, or joining the University of Iowa, contact us today!