Summer at the University of Iowa
All College of Engineering students are authorized to register for the summer session without having to meet with an advisor. If you are interested in discussing your summer options, feel free to schedule an appointment with your advisor.
Summer Course Registration: March 4-8, 2024
Courses typically offered at Iowa:
- Principles of Chemistry I and II
- Introductory Physics II
- Foundations of Biology
- Statics, Electrical Circuits, Thermodynamics
- Dynamics, Materials Science, and Mechanics of Deformable Bodies
- Cell Biology for Engineers
- Numerous general education course options
Check MyUI for additional course options and details on timing and delivery mode.
Some summer classes are offered as online courses. You can search for online options on MyUI/Courses and Registration by selecting the “Web/Online” option for the delivery mode. Each online class is taught in a slightly different format – to learn more about each course’s requirements and testing, contact the course instructor listed on MyUI.
University of Iowa Summer Course Costs
You can review Summer 2024 tuition and fees rates on the Registrar's Tuition and Fee Tables webpage. Select the College of Engineering on the top right dropdown and then scroll down to the appropriate table for your resident status and classification. To verify which tuition table to use, log into MyUI - Financial Aid & Billing - Student Finances - Tuition & Mandatory Fees.
Students who are living outside Johnson County and taking University of Iowa online courses or courses at a location outside of Johnson County may request a reduction in Mandatory Fees that are classified as Location Fees. These fees are Student Health Service, Mental Health, Student Activity, Student Services, Student Union, Arts and Cultural Events, and Recreation Facility fees. No other mandatory fees are appealable.
To submit a Location Mandatory Fee Appeal Form click here.
Find more information about mandatory fees, visit the Registrar's Mandatory Fees webpage.
Summer at another institution
- Decide which college you would like to attend.
- Refer to the transfer guides to determine if courses will transfer to University of Iowa.
- Call the institution to inquire which courses are “typically” offered during the summer.
- Follow admissions and enrollment procedures for the individual college you plan to attend over the summer.
- After completing courses, send your official transcript is to Enrollment Management, 2900 University Capitol Centre, 201 S. Clinton St., Iowa City, IA 52242
NOTE: If the summer course you plan to take is a prerequisite for a fall course, you will be required to provide proof of registration in the summer course on MyUI to register for the fall course. After completing the course, you will then be required to provide proof of successful completion to remain enrolled in the fall course prior to the start of the fall semester.