GOALS: To engage in mutually beneficial partnerships, boldly communicate our achievements, and build influence with state and federal decision makers.
To acquire and steward private investments that strengthen the college and amplify our service for the common good.
Increase engagement and foster partnerships of the college with the community
1. Train and support faculty, staff, and students to better engage the public in local, state, national and global contexts.
2. Incentivize and recognize faculty and staff participation in engagement.
3. Increase in number of faculty, staff, and student participating in workshops on engaged teaching and scholarship.
4. Develop tracking mechanism for engagement activities (STEM festivals, student organization activities, etc.). Use existing data from APR, FAS, CV to track engagement.
5. Create new opportunities for professional education of engineering and informatics workforce based on industrial partnerships.
6. Expand certificate and degree programs available beyond the main UI campus.
Improve the visibility of the college, its faculty, staff and students to Iowa and the rest of the world
1. Provide training for faculty and staff to work with media and news organizations to explain the impact of CoE research and innovation.
2. Utilize a range of communication platforms to spread CoE messages – print (Iowa Engineer, College Viewbook), digital, and social media.
3. Leverage stories of successful alumni to increase CoE national and international visibility and impact, especially across industry and government agencies.
4. Increase the number of faculty members nominated for high-level awards and national academies.
5. Develop strategic communications to inform Iowans, including legislative stakeholders, about CoE strengths, value, and excellence.
6. Develop a CoE brand, voice, and identity within the overall university brand.
7. Engage the college, department, and center advisory boards in broadening participation and philanthropy.
Influence and catalyze economic development and sustainable use of natural resources
1. Support entrepreneurial education, new venture creation, technology transfer, and innovation
2. Partner with stakeholders across campus to make campus operations more environmentally sustainable.
3. Measure and minimize, where consistent with other goals and critical tasks, energy use and greenhouse gas footprint of operations of the College of Engineering.
4. Prepare a baseline report on energy use and carbon footprint for the College, choose targets for reduction, and recommend and monitor actions to achieve targets.
We can meet our engagement goals if we:
1. Pursue opportunities for high-value engagement through teaching, scholarship and other programs
2. Enhance visibility of the college faculty, staff and students
3. Deploy CoE expertise to catalyze economic development and sustainability
4. Progressively build relationships with our alumni based on our engagement, sustainability, and advocacy efforts