Judges are an integral part of Research Open House.
We can't do it without you!
On the day of Virtual Research Open House, students will give a brief oral presentation about their research that will be shared with three judges who will score their PowerPoint content and oral presentations. The students will be able to interact with Judges via Zoom.
Judges will score the presentations by using an online scoresheet powered by RocketJudge. Judging can be done on a PC or a mobile phone. Judges will receive an email shortly before the event that will have all the information they need to see the PowerPoints and videos and will provide the Zoom link to interact with the student. The student presentations will be scheduled ahead of time and their Zoom meeting rooms open during their scheduled time to meet with judges and the general public.
Research Open House welcomes all undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, staff, alumni, industry representatives, and advisory board members as judges. We expect to have over 100 presentations this year. If each presenter has three judges...you can see we need a lot of volunteer judges!
The expectations for judges are as follows:
- Commit a minimum of one hour of time when you will visit up to three presentations online (register and indicate your available times by filling out the registration form (link above)
- You will receive an email confirmation from the ROH coordinator no later than one prior to the event with the confirmed time of your judging slot(s)
- Let the coordinator know in advance if you are unable to attend Virtual Research Open House if you have already registered
- On the day of the event, check in at the Virtual Registration/Information desk. You will receive an email shortly before the event with instructions and the student schedule and Zoom link information.
- Introduce yourself to the student presenters as a Judge and listen to the PowerPoint presentations and engage in conversation with the students
- Fill out the score sheets and submit online!
What will judges get out of the experience?
- Provide valuable feedback, expertise, and professional networking opportunities for the students
- Industry representatives meet students who might be excellent future employees
- Learn about the exciting research going on in the College of Engineering
- Enjoy the fun atmosphere and appreciate the hard work of our College of Engineering students
On behalf of the College of Engineering, I thank you for your commitment to the education of our students. If you have any questions, please contact Kristina Venzke, ROH Coordinator, at email@example.com or 319-335-5614.
- HS Udaykumar, Interim Associate Dean of Graduate Programs, Research, and Faculty
University of Iowa College of Engineering