The are a number of drivers of change in high education
- Early education
- Changing nature of work
- Iron triangle (affordability, accessibility, excellence)
- Needs and capabilities
- Science and technology of education
Georgia Tech established a Commission on Creating the Next in Education
- A commitment to lifetime education
- Establishing new initiatives
- Whole person education
- New products and services
- Advising for a new era
- AI and personalization
- Distributed world-wide presence
- Established a culture of becoming deliberately innovative
COVID-19 crisis led to several lessons:
- Remote delivery: the experience
- Graduate education is very different
- The nature of office work is changed forever: sort of
- Higher education has a too narrow revenue stream
- It is time to think out of the box
Ideas for the future:
- Increase enrollment by changing delivery, using technology and offering a menu of products.
- Increase MS degrees – online with quality
- Grow professional programs of all types
- Create applied research labs that focus and manage the inspiration of faculty – writ large
- Change employment models so that industry and universities can SHARE talent to the advantage of all.
- Embrace the concept of the university as an economic development model at all levels.
- Get directly involved in K-12 education and 2-year programs.
- Insist on accountability but keep politics out!