Gene F. Parkin
Joined the College of Engineering: 1986
- Shrout, J.D., Williams, A.G.B., Scherer, M.M., and Parkin, G. F., "Inhibition of Microbial Perchlorate Reduction by Zero-Valent Iron," Biodegredation, 16, pp.23-32 (2005).
- Sawyer, C.N., McCarty, P.L., and Parkin, G.F., Chemistry for Environmental Engineering and Science, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, New York (2003).
- Williams, A.G.B., Gregory, K.B., Parkin, G.F., and Scherer, M.M., “Hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine Transformation by Biologically Reduced Ferrihydrite: Evolution of Fe Mineralogy, Surface Area, and Reaction Rates,” Environmental Science & Technology, 39, pp. 5183-5189 (2005).
- Shrout, J.D., Struckhoff, G.C., Parkin, G.F., and Schnoor, J.L., “Stimulation and Molecular Characterization of Bacterial Perchlorate Degradation by Plant-Produced Electron Donors,” Environmental Science & Technology, 40, pp. 310-317 (2006).
- Nivala, J., Hoos, M.B., Cross, C.S., Wallace, S.D., and Parkin, G.F., "Treatment of Landfill Leachate Using an Aerated, Subsurface-flow Constructed Wetland," The Science of the Total Environment, 380, pp. 19-27 (2007).
- Brown, H. and Parkin, G.F., "The effect of Sulfide Inhibition and Organic Shock Loading on Anaerobic Biofilm Reactors Treating a Low-Temperature, High-Sultate Wastewater," Water Environment Research, 81(3), pp. 265-288 (2009).
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
- Water Environment Federation
- Iowa Water Environment Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- American Chemical Society
Special Fields of Knowledge:
- Environmental engineering
- environmental biotechnology
- Bioremediation of contaminated waters
- constructed wetlands treatment of contaminated waters
- role of microbial-reactive mineral interactions in fate and transport of pollutants (e.g., As, Hg, oxidized organics
- anaerobic biological waste treatment