The General Education Component (GEC) of the College of Engineering curriculum requires at least 19 semester hours of course credit.
The requirements are the following:
Rhetoric: Complete 4 s.h. RHET:1030
Engineering Be Creative: Complete 3 sh
- The above link redirects to a list of courses on MyUI that have been approved as Engineering Be Creative available in the upcoming semester.
- Students can also find a full list of the courses approved on the Engineering Be Creative Course List. Not all courses are offered each semester.
- Certain courses have sections designated "Restricted to Engineering Majors." Students should register for these sections.
- If a Be Creative course has listed prerequisites, students who want to enroll in these courses will need to request for the prerequisite to be waived by completing the "Request Prerequisite Special Permission" form. It is recommended that students complete the form, located on MyUI, several weeks before their early registration date .
- Students should select “My reason is not listed above” and upload a snapshot of their “Program of Study & Advisors” (can be found on MyUI/Student Information/Advising), proving they are currently an Engineering student.
- Receiving confirmation that the prerequisite has been waived does not guarantee a seat in the course.
CLAS General Education Course: Complete 3 sh
- Students must complete 3 sh of coursework from one of the approved CLAS GEC categories (listed below).
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Historical Perspectives
- International and Global Issues
- Interpretation of Literature
- Literary, Visual, and Performing Arts
- Social Science
- Values and Culture
- World Languages
- The link above will provide students with a list of courses approved in the category that are offered during a specific semester (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). Students must ensure they are choosing from the appropriate categories as listed above.
- Students in Industrial Engineering are required to complete PSY:1001 Introduction to Psychology which will satisfy this GEC requirement.
Approved Course Subjects: Complete 9 s.h
- Students may choose courses from ANY of the subjects listed.