Finance Forms

A faculty member holding an appointment for the academic year may be employed by the University outside the academic year on a part-time or a full-time basis in summer session teaching, in sponsored research or training programs, or in other activities. For summer support greater than two months, an exception to the two-month limit is required to meet certain certifications and clarify that the summer appointment decrease or eliminates the time which the faculty member is not required to provide services to the University.  

To request an exception and/or learn more about the certifications and requirements, please see the Engineering Exception to Limit on Summer Appointment workflow form here 

Questions can be directed to the Assistant Director, Finance & Budget in the College of Engineering.

General education funds (GEF) are to be spent in the fiscal year in which they are allocated.  Every reasonable attempt should be made to spend funds in the current FY. If it is necessary to request carry forward of GEF monies into next FY, please follow these guidelines: 

  • Requests shall include:  Amount requested to be carried forward, MFK, purpose of use in new FY, and an explanation why this money cannot be spent this fiscal year. 
  • Accounts requested for carry forward should be reconciled each month in current FY prior to submitting the workflow request.  

Questions should be directed to the Director, Finance and Operations for the College of Engineering. 

Carry Forward Request Form 

The Course Fee Request Form is used to request a new course fee or to revise an existing course fee.

The University of Iowa defines a course fee as a charge applied at the course level for consumable expenses directly related to the student’s participation in a course. A course fee should be based on plausible estimates of the anticipated costs or previous records of actual costs and should be kept as low as possible.

Request for new Chartfield values and WhoKeys in the General Ledger can be submitted for the following:

  • Department
  • Subdepartment
  • Grant/Programs that start with '3' (Cost Share), '5' (Other - Org Unit/Departmental Programs) or '8' (Gifts)
  • New WhoKeys for Cost Share
  • Salary Cap (Grant/Program 31111111)
  • Gifts and Other (Grant/Program 00000000 or starts with '5')
  • Cost Centers limited to the faculty range of 1000-8999

Please refer to the User Manual of the application for further details.

Prepaid Expenses in Engineering Technology Center

The Prepaid Expense in Engineering Technology Center is used to request funds be used in the current fiscal year when the purchase will not occur until the next fiscal year. 

This form is due through workflow by close of business on the last day of May  of the current fiscal year, and funds must be expensed by January of the following fiscal year.

Operations Forms

Any University owned property removed from campus must be tracked. This form is designed to get approval once you have already worked with the ETC Office or your supervisor. 

Questions should be directed to Matt McLaughlin at  

The College is committed to a space utilization plan which maximizes the utility of the space and makes it possible to reassign space as needs change over time. 

To retain research and teaching laboratory space, faculty must demonstrate continuing effective and productive use of the space. 

If you have either short-term, including one day events, or long-term requests, please submit an Engineering Facilities Space Request here to the College of Engineering Space Planning Committee.  

If you have questions, please contact the Director, Finance and Operations for the College of Engineering.

The following Capital Asset Management Forms and Instructions are included in the link.

  • Asset Updates Form – update building location, room number, serial number, custodian, etc.
  • Addition Request Form – add capitalized equipment
  • Deductions Request Form – remove capitalized asset from departmental inventory
  • Internal Transfer of University Equipment – transfer ownership from one UI department to another
  • Off Campus Use of Property – for use when equipment will be considered “off campus”
  • Surplus Removal Request Form – to remove property and send to surplus
  • Title Transfer of University Equipment – transfer of ownership from UI to another institution
  • Statement of Government-Owned Equipment Status (federal assets only)
  • Non-capitalized Equipment – for departmental use only

The FM@YourService Portal consists of five different form options (buttons) for submitting the following requests:

  •  Request Maintenance – building, custodial, ground maintenance
  • Order Work or Keys - get keys, install/hang small items
  • Request Project - renovate space, install signage/furniture/etc.
  • Get Help - request maintenance estimate, contact us, additional resources
  • Ask a COVID-19 Question – FM operations

For facilities emergencies, please call 319-335-5071, 24/7



HR Forms & Process information

To request to hire for a staff or postdoctoral scholar position, an Engineering Hiring Request Form must be submitted to the Dean’s Office.  The Dean’s Office will provide a response within 1-2 weeks.  If the position is approved, the hiring supervisor will then work with the HR Generalist to develop a recruitment plan.

Effective with the start of FY22, this process is required college-wide, regardless of department or funding source.  Please note this process applies to positions for which a search will be conducted as well as those for which a search waiver is being requested.

Student employee recruitments and appointments are administered within each department.  Please contact your Department Administrator for assistance. 

Student employees may have unique needs in the areas of work schedules, training and development, and engagement. Fortunately, the university has many resources to guide you in these areas, and Engineering Human Resources is here to help you apply them to unique situations here in the College.

  • The Office of Student Financial Aid: The Student Employment website offers a comprehensive guide for employers both on and off-campus.
  • Pomerantz Career Center: The Pomerantz website offers comprehensive resources for recruiting students. You will find a link to Handshake on this site, which is the University of Iowa’s primary online recruiting system for hiring students.
  • UI STEPUI STEP is a multi-faceted, high impact developmental experience designed to inspire and challenge UI students to find careers that reflect their personal values. Delivered through a for-credit course or individual workshops, this program will equip students to navigate the transition from college student to career professional with confidence
  • Supervising Today’s Students Series: STS is a series of training sessions geared toward faculty and staff who hire and supervise undergraduate students. Courses cover the student employment life cycle and provide practical tools for successfully engaging and leading student employees.
  • Wages:  The Office of Student Financial Aid completes a wage survey for part-time and work-study student employees on a yearly basis. It’s divided by student job type so that you can see what other students are making across the university for similar work. 

Please contact Engineering Human Resources if you have questions or would like to discuss any needs related to student employment within the College of Engineering.  We are happy to support both our student employees and their supervisors.

Regular P&S staff are eligible for career development actions include promotions, career advancements and career shifts (reclassifications). These actions may or may not be accompanied by a pay increase. 

More information about these actions can be found here.  Relevant Operations Manual policies can be found here and here.

To request a career development action for a P&S staff member, please submit a Career Development Request Form.

This form will route to the employee’s supervisor and then the DEO/Center Director for approval. Upon receipt of department approval, CoE Human Resources will facilitate college review and an approval/denial within 30 days. College review of career development actions will include confirmation of funding, validating appropriateness of the action, and maintaining equity and consistency within the college.

Career development actions are not considered fully approved until formal email notification by CoE HR is received following University HR review.

The College of Engineering is committed to supporting the professional development of our staff.  The following outlines the request process for staff professional development that allows for:

  • an accessible and equitable process
  • a transparent approach
  • and encourages planning

Eligibility and Criteria for use:

  • All College of Engineering regular professional and scientific and merit staff that are 50% time or greater are eligible. 
  • Requests to attend a training and/or conference that has a cost associated with it. This applies to both virtual and in-person events. Please note that this process does not apply to travel for activities such as recruitment and outreach.


  • Any training and/or conference/professional development (virtual or travel related) that will have a cost associated with it, regardless of funding, should have a Staff Professional Development request form completed prior to any costs incurred.   Any purchases made related to professional development without prior approval may not be authorized.
  • Requests, when possible, should be submitted 4 weeks in advance of training and/or travel related to conference.
  • The request form will route from the initiator to their supervisor, then to the Dean’s Office. 
  • Request forms received by the Dean’s Office will be reviewed monthly, within the first 7 business days of each month.
  • Approval/Denial of the request form will trigger an email to be sent to the initiator and their supervisor outlining the next steps.
  • Approval of request is dependent upon applicability of content to their position and unit and reasonableness of request.
  • Staff may submit more than one request form utilizing College of Engineering funds each fiscal year; however, priority of those funds will be given to staff who have not received professional development funds from the College within the last 12 months.
  • If approved, it is expected that the staff member attending the professional development activity will report back to their peers and/or unit about what they learned.

  • The College of Engineering is dedicated to supporting the growth and development of our greatest asset, our employees. The College of Engineering Tuition Assistance Program promotes continuing education and career growth by providing an opportunity for eligible employees to apply for financial assistance to help with tuition costs. The College of Engineering Tuition Assistance Program supersedes and replaces all departmental tuition assistance programs and practices effective July 1, 2022.
  • For eligibility requirements, funding, program guidelines, please visit this page
  • To begin the application process, please complete this form 
  • Application Deadlines
    • Applications must be submitted by the employee and approved by the supervisor within the dates listed below:
Session Open Deadline
Summer  April 1st May 15th
Fall June 1st July 15th
Spring November 11th December 15th


**Please note the dates will be modified for the Fall 2022 application timeline


Regular staff are eligible for SPOT Awards to recognize performance that is above and beyond one’s normal responsibilities or otherwise impactful to the CoE or UI.  A SPOT award may be up to $150, net of withholdings. 

To nominate someone for a SPOT Award, complete a  Flex Pay Nomination Form which will route to the Dean’s Office for review and approval.  SPOT Awards are funded centrally by the CoE.

Regular staff are eligible for Exceptional Performance Awards to recognize outstanding performance that contributes significantly to the CoE’s mission of teaching, research, and service.  An Exceptional Performance Award is a lump sum award that may be up to 10% of base salary (per fiscal year), subject to applicable withholdings.  UI policy limits the number of awards the CoE may give each year.

To nominate someone for an Exceptional Performance Award, complete a Flex Pay Nomination Form which will route to the Dean’s Office for review and approval.  Exceptional Performance Awards are funded centrally by the CoE.

All staff receive performance evaluations annually. These annual reviews follow a calendar year compliance period (January 1 - December 31) and are conducted in the fall. 

Performance evaluations are located on UI Self Service, My Career, under Career & Performance -> Performance Review.  The staff member starts the process by launching a performance review form.  The staff member enters his/her self evaluation comments before forwarding the form to the supervisor.

Performance Review Process:

  1. Employee creates review in Performance Review tool (accessed in Self Service). 
  2. Employee completes review form and routes electronically to supervisor via Performance Review tool.
  3. Supervisor completes their part of the review form.
  4. Supervisor conducts review session with employee.
  5. Supervisor electronically routes review form to employee for acknowledgement. (This can be done prior to or following the review session, based on supervisor preference.)
  6. Employee electronically signs review, adding optional comments.
  7. Review is automatically added to ePersonnel and rating is recorded in HR system.

Performance Rating Scale: A five-point scale is used to provide the overall performance rating:  

  • Outstanding
  • Exceeds Expectations
  • Successfully Meets Expectations
  • Needs Improvement
  • Unsatisfactory

The rating definitions are available here.

Feel free to contact your HR Generalist if you have any questions or need assistance as you complete the performance evaluation process.  

When faculty and staff need to take a leave of absence from work, perhaps due to personal illness, a family member’s health or other personal situation, they should contact CoE HR to initiate the leave process.  CoE HR will submit a confidential intake form to Faculty and Staff Disability Services (FSDS) who will facilitate review of any medical documentation and communicate with the employee, CoE HR, and supervisor regarding leave provisions.

Should a faculty or staff member require a workplace accommodation due to their health condition or disability, they should contact CoE HR to begin the interactive accommodation process. CoE HR will submit a confidential intake form to Faculty and Staff Disability Services (FSDS) who will work with the employee, CoE HR and supervisor to identify solutions to work difficulties.

Flexible work arrangements involve a work location that is not 100% on campus (remote or hybrid) and/or a work schedule that does not follow normal business hours (Monday – Friday, 8-4:30/5).  Staff who would like to request a flexible work arrangement should talk with their supervisor and then submit a flexible work arrangement (FWA) form which will route to the Dean’s Office. The form must be reviewed and approved by the Dean’s Office before the arrangement can be implemented.

The wellbeing of employees is a top priority for the CoE and the UI. The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides integrated services to faculty, staff, and their family members, including:

  • Confidential, short-term counseling to faculty, staff, and their families
  • Consultation for supervisors/managers
  • Information and referral to community resources

The EAP can be reached at 319-335-2085 or

CoE HR will provide an onboarding checklist to supervisors with new faculty and staff starting in the CoE as part of the recruitment process.  The UI provides great resources for supervisors regarding onboarding new employees.

Welcome information for those new to the UI can be found here. New employees should access benefits enrollment information as soon as possible after their start date.

When a faculty or staff member indicates they are retiring, resigning, or transferring out of the college, please notify CoE HR immediately.  CoE HR will provide an exit checklist to the departing employee and their supervisor.  An exit interview will be scheduled with the employee.

Those considering retirement should review the benefits site on retiring from the UI.  

The UI offers a number of professional development resources for faculty and staff.  Refer to the UI’s Learning & Development page for more information. Note, the UI also offers a Tuition Assistance Program for eligible employees.

Have a suggestion?  Need to provide some anonymous feedback?  Use the HR Suggestion Box to submit your comments.

Annually, faculty and staff are invited to nominate colleagues for one of the CoE Excellence Awards.  The nomination and selection process occurs during the spring semester, with award winner announced at the CoE’s awards event held in the Spring Semester.

The nomination process is done electronically via the CoE Excellence Award Nomination Form. Nominations for the faculty awards, the staff research award, and the PhD award are evaluated by the CoE Awards Committee.  Nominations for the remaining staff awards are evaluated by an awards committee from the Engineering Staff Advisory Council.

Details about the awards and a list of past winners can be found here.

The attestation form required for several of the awards’ nomination materials can be found here.

The CoE is fortunate to have many talented staff who have committed a significant portion of their professional career to our mission of teaching, research, and service.   Each fall, the CoE recognizes those staff who have reached key service milestones at our annual staff longevity celebration.

A faculty member may apply for an unpaid leave of absence (which are not categorized under FMLA) for professional or personal reasons (see the University's Operations Manual, III–21.2: ). An unpaid leave of absence is granted for a specific purpose of some duration and for a specific time period. Leave periods are granted in continuous periods of time (e.g., in units of semesters). If a College of Engineering faculty member intends on applying for a non-compensated leave of absence, the Unpaid Leave of Absence Request: workflow form is required to begin the process and notify all interested parties.

Faculty Unpaid Leave of Absence Request: