• Completion of two courses: Single-Variable Calculus I, and either Principles of Chemistry I or Calculus-based Physics I, with grades of A or B.
  • As and Bs in any subsequent math, science, and engineering courses taken.
  • Completion of high school unit requirements.
  • The University of Iowa requires a minimum transfer GPA of 2.50.

  • Complete the minimum admission requirements.
  • Apply Online.
  • Send an official transcript from every college and university you have attended. See more detail at http://admissions.uiowa.edu/apply/transfer-student-application-process.
  • See "Transferring Credit" section below.
  • Once admitted to the College of Engineering, you may request a degree audit on your MyUI site to see how the courses you've taken fulfill degree requirements.
  • Email Megan Allen with any course transferability questions.

  • Complete the admission requirements.
  • Apply Online.
  • Request a "What If" degree audit on your MyUI site to see how the courses you've taken fulfill engineering degree requirements.
  • Once admitted to the College of Engineering, call 319-335-5763 to schedule an engineering academic advising appointment.
  • Prior to being admitted into Engineering, you may request Special Permission to register for the first two engineering courses: Engineering Problem Solving I and II.
  • You may wish to take ENGR:1000 Engineering Success (1 hr), which is offered in the fall semester. There is no special permission required to take this course.

We're glad you're thinking about transferring into Engineering@Iowa!  

Useful links:

Transferring Credit

Transfer guides have been created for many community colleges and several universities; see list below. If your school has a transfer guide, that is your best resource for courses to take (and how they'll transfer) for the College of Engineering.

If we do not have a transfer guide for your college or university, or you have questions about additional courses not listed on the guide, consult one or all of these online tools:

MyUI Transfer Course Equivalency Guide

I-Chart for Iowa community college students

Transferology a nation-wide network

If you have a question about a course that you can't find through these tools and you have not yet been admitted into the College of Engineering, contact the Office of Admissions. If you already are admitted into the College of Engineering, contact Megan Allen. You may need to provide a syllabus and course description.

Other University Transfer Guides 

University of Guam

NOTE: A grade of C- or higher is required for transfer credit to be applied toward an engineering degree. Remember to have an official transcript sent directly to the UI Admissions Office, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52245.