During August, 2022 we hosted a Coach/Mentor Professional Development. This Professional Development was open to all coaches, new or experienced.
August 1 - 3, 2022
- Interactive and hands-on sessions about a variety of topics for FTC.
- To share best practices, New and Returning coaches and experienced volunteers are welcomed each of the days.
- The Seamans Center for Engineering Arts & Sciences, University of Iowa, 103 S. Capitol Street, Iowa City, Iowa
Goals of the PD:
- Prepare coaches and mentors for an upcoming FTC Season.
- Connect coaches and mentors with each other, future connections for future questions or issues.
- Educate attendees about recent or new changes within FTC.
- Expand the knowledge base of attendees. Help attendees think outside of the box of what they normally would have considered.
- Have participants go through a mini-season within a team: a build season; a "tournament" with a judging interview, matches and an alliance selection.
- Share the expectations FTC-Iowa has for coaches and mentors.
- To be as interactive as possible. Lots of small group activities. Less presentations.
Covered Topics of the PD:
- Hopes and Expectations
- Being an effective coach & mentor
- Tips from returning coaches
- Sharing of Resources
- Volunteering at Events
- Hosting an event
- Team dynamics
- How to recruit students
- How to divide a large team
- How to divide students between two teams
- How to win awards
- Becoming a judge
- The Engineering Portfolio
- The Engineering Design Process
- What to expect during Team Inspections
- Programming 101
- A Simulated Competition Season