During August, 2023 we will be hosting a VIRTUAL Coach/Mentor Professional Development. This Professional Development was open to all coaches, new or experienced.
Tuesday, August 8, 2023 from 9:00am-4:00pm CST
- Sessions about a variety of topics for FTC.
- To share best practices, New and Returning coaches and experienced volunteers are welcomed each of the days.
- Virtual - on a computer near you!
- We will be utilizing zoom break out rooms and have concurrent sessions occur each hour.
- The zoom link will be sent out to those who registered, no earlier than August 4, 2023.
Goals of the PD:
- Prepare coaches and mentors for an upcoming FTC Season.
- Connect coaches and mentors with each other, future connections for future questions or issues.
- Educate attendees about recent or new changes within FTC.
- Expand the knowledge base of attendees. Help attendees think outside of the box of what they normally would have considered.
- Have participants go through a mini-season within a team: a build season; a "tournament" with a judging interview, matches and an alliance selection.
- Share the expectations FTC-Iowa has for coaches and mentors.
- To be as interactive as possible. Lots of small group activities. Less presentations.
Ideal topics suggestions:
- Hopes and Expectations
- Being an effective coach & mentor
- Tips from returning coaches
- Sharing of Resources
- Volunteering at Events
- Hosting an event
- Team dynamics
- How to recruit students
- How to divide a large team
- How to divide students between two teams
- How to win awards
- Becoming a judge
- The Engineering Portfolio
- The Engineering Design Process
- What to expect during Team Inspections
- Programming 101
- A Simulated Competition Season
We are currently seeking teams & coaches to present on any of these topics! Register to present!
If you are interested in attending, please complete this form.