The Student Leadership Awards Ceremony is an annual celebration honoring College of Engineering students, organizations, advisors, and mentors for outstanding leadership and service. The purpose of the event is to foster a sense of pride, recognize the accomplishments of Engineering students and student organizations, and encourage all students to seek out leadership experiences.
Please consider nominating outstanding student organizations, events/programs, or individuals for an award in one of the following categories:
Individual in a Student Organization:
- Outstanding Student Organization Leader - a leader in a student organization who displays significant dedication to the organization and its members by contributing to the organization's mission and goals, promoting diversity and service, and by creating community among the organization’s members.
- Emerging Leader - A first-year, second-year, or transfer student in a student organization who demonstrates significant effort, leadership, and involvement in improving the organization.
- Unsung Hero - a member of a student organization who demonstrates significant contributions and/or initiative without holding a leadership position within the organization.
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor - an advisor who acts as a positive role model and provides guidance and encouragement while supporting the organization's goals.
Engineering Student Organization:
- Outstanding Student Organization - a student organization that demonstrates significant initiative, creativity, perseverance, and integrity in its members throughout all areas of the organization.
- Outstanding Student Program for Diversity, Outreach, or Service - a student organization that has made meaningful contributions to students, the University, and/or the surrounding communities through diversity initiatives, K-12 outreach, or service projects.
- Most Improved Student Organization - a student organization that has demonstrated significant improvement in membership recruitment, and/or improved the focus of the organization's mission or operation, and/or improved or implemented new programs.
General Leadership Awards:
- Outstanding Mentor - an engineering student, staff member, faculty member, or alumnus who acts as a positive role model and provides exceptional guidance and support to students.
- Outstanding Student Researcher - an undergraduate student researcher who demonstrates exceptional time, effort, and perseverance in pursuing research interests under the direction of a faculty or staff member.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant or Tutor - an undergraduate student who makes a major contribution to teaching and learning through exceptional work as a College of Engineering Teaching Assistant or Tutor.
- Outstanding College of Engineering Student Employee – a student employee in the College who has an excellent work ethic and who has made a positive impact in the workplace.
- Engineer and Something More – a student who exemplifies our motto for "Engineer and Something More" through substantial involvement in the college, the University, or the community. This involvement may be through service, leadership, and/or experiential education. It could include but is not limited to involvement in music, athletics, study abroad, community service, leadership, and/or campus organizations, etc.
*Awards may vary slightly each year depending on nominations. Congratulations to our previous award winners.
Questions about the Engineering Student Leadership Awards can be directed to Engineering-SDC@uiowa.edu