Promoting diversity amongst College of Engineering faculty and staff increases our collective ability to cultivate an inclusive climate by providing a rich variety of perspectives that will enable students to be global thinkers and actors, to respect diverse values, and to attain a competitive edge as well-rounded and creative leaders in their fields.
- Strategies & Best Practices
- Review your syllabus for tone and inclusive language
- UI Center for Teaching: Inclusive Teaching & Diversity resources
- University of Michigan's Inclusive Teaching Center provides numerous useful guides and resources. A few examples: Inclusive STEM Courses, Practical Steps for Inclusive Teaching, Inventory of Inclusive Teaching Strategies
- Harvard Business School's advice for Addressing Common Blind Spots in the classroom
- SREB's Pedagogical Strategies for Inclusive & Trauma-Informed Teaching
- DEI & Social Justice Topics in Engineering Education
- Call for Code Initiative - Open coding challenges designed to address ongoing issues with Climate Change and Racial Justice
- Impactful perspective about importance of diversity, with specific engineering examples and ideas
- Designing Inclusion into Engineering Education
- ASEE Diversity & Inclusion Initiatives
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
The UI's Inclusive Events and Programming Guide is intended to provide event organizers and campus administrators with the tools necessary to proactively plan events that are inclusive and accessible for all attendees. This is a newly created resource that is intended to continue to evolve and be updated over time.
- College of Engineering Academic Support & Tutoring Resources
- Ways to Make a Difference for First-Gen Students
- Quick Guide for Helping Students (see also Reporting Student Concerns, which summarizes the various support/outreach offices for both academic support and student well-being)
- Supporting Neurodiversity
- Webinar on Neurodiversity organized by Engineering Inclusion Agents
- United Way of Iowa's 21 Day Equity Challenge - (Archive of topics presented in Sept 2021 Equity Challenge for Iowa)
- UCLA's Implicit Bias Video Series
- UI Libraries Anti-Racism Resources
- 21 Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge, Educator Edition
- Harvard's Implicit Association Test
- UI Center for Human Rights – Racial Equity & Human Rights Series
- UI International Programs: Building our Global Community Intercultural Training
- UI Provost's Office Path to Distinction - Best practices for Faculty Recruitment (be sure to also download the complete program packet)
- ASEE Engineering Deans Gender Equity (EDGE) Initiative
- National Alliance for Inclusive & Diverse STEM Faculty
- Preserving Black History in Iowa City
- Iowa City's Beloved Community Initiative
Is there a resource or topic missing?
We welcome your suggestions - please let us know what additional resources or topics we should include here.
Learn about the BUILD certificate, implicit bias resources, the LGBTQ+ Safe Zone project, and other learning opportunities.
Scholarships, Training, Support Networks, and other resources
UI Diversity Councils are open to anyone who identifies as a member of each specific group, and to anyone, regardless of their identities, who wants to support different groups of people on our campus. Open to all Faculty & Staff.