Promoting diversity amongst College of Engineering faculty and staff increases our collective ability to cultivate an inclusive climate by providing a rich variety of perspectives that will enable students to be global thinkers and actors, to respect diverse values, and to attain a competitive edge as well-rounded and creative leaders in their fields.
- Strategies & Best Practices
- Review your syllabus for tone and inclusive language
- UI Center for Teaching: Inclusive Teaching & Diversity resources
- University of Michigan's Inclusive Teaching Center provides numerous useful guides and resources. A few examples: Inclusive STEM Courses, Practical Steps for Inclusive Teaching, Inventory of Inclusive Teaching Strategies
- Harvard Business School's advice for Addressing Common Blind Spots in the classroom
- SREB's Pedagogical Strategies for Inclusive & Trauma-Informed Teaching
- DEI & Social Justice Topics in Engineering Education
- Call for Code Initiative - Open coding challenges designed to address ongoing issues with Climate Change and Racial Justice
- Impactful perspective about importance of diversity, with specific engineering examples and ideas
- Designing Inclusion into Engineering Education
- ASEE Diversity & Inclusion Initiatives
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- College of Engineering Academic Support & Tutoring Resources
- Ways to Make a Difference for First-Gen Students
- Quick Guide for Helping Students (see also Reporting Student Concerns, which summarizes the various support/outreach offices for both academic support and student well-being)
- Supporting Neurodiversity
- Webinar on Neurodiversity organized by Engineering Inclusion Agents
- United Way of Iowa's 21 Day Equity Challenge - (Archive of topics presented in Sept 2021 Equity Challenge for Iowa)
- UCLA's Implicit Bias Video Series
- UI Libraries Anti-Racism Resources
- 21 Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge, Educator Edition
- Harvard's Implicit Association Test
- UI Center for Human Rights – Racial Equity & Human Rights Series
- UI International Programs: Building our Global Community Intercultural Training
- UI Provost's Office Path to Distinction - Best practices for Faculty Recruitment (be sure to also download the complete program packet)
- ASEE Engineering Deans Gender Equity (EDGE) Initiative
- National Alliance for Inclusive & Diverse STEM Faculty
- Preserving Black History in Iowa City
- Iowa City's Beloved Community Initiative
Is there a resource or topic missing?
We welcome your suggestions - please let us know what additional resources or topics we should include here.
Learn about the BUILD certificate, implicit bias resources, the LGBTQ+ Safe Zone project, and other learning opportunities.
Scholarships, Training, Support Networks, and other resources
UI Diversity Councils are open to anyone who identifies as a member of each specific group, and to anyone, regardless of their identities, who wants to support different groups of people on our campus. Open to all Faculty & Staff.