In collaboration with the FIRST in Iowa program, the Student Leadership Board (SLB) will promote and be an ambassador of FIRST programs, take initiative on equity, diversity and inclusion through awareness, education and action that engages, supports, inspires and represents the interests of FIRST in Iowa.
Iowa FIRST Student Leadership Board
The following are guidelines that the Iowa FIRST Student Leadership Board (SLB) members are expected to abide by during their term on the Board:
1. Continued communication with the SLB throughout the term
- Communication is imperative to a successful term on the Council
- Communication regarding calls, check-ins, projects, events, etc. via email or Slack
- Attending regularly scheduled meetings via online conference calls with other members and Council facilitators
2. Allocate time to take on/work on projects and initiatives at the SLB facilitators discretion
- Being punctual with project deadlines
- Collaborating with other members
- Taking responsibility for project/initiative completion
- Avoiding favoritism of FIRST teams within projects/initiatives
- i.e. be cognizant when posting on SLB social media/representing the SLB at events
3. Respecting other members and SLB facilitators
- Positive collaboration and teamwork are integral to the SLB
- Respect other members' opinions, ideas, and beliefs
4. Be a positive representative of the Iowa FIRST program and of the SLB
- Properly conduct yourself when attending events
- Your behavior and actions are reflective of Iowa FIRST Program and the Iowa FIRST SLB.
5. Involvement/Preparation for meetings
- When attending meetings, it is encouraged that you come prepared with ideas and thoughts as per the meeting agenda
- Do not be afraid to bring forward ideas – we embrace this!
- You get out what you put in, do your best to stay on top of communications, and stay involved with the Council.
6. Giving back to the FIRST Community
- While serving your term on the SLB you will be creating projects and initiatives that will be rolled out into the FIRST community
- After your term is complete it is expected that you will continue to give back to your local FIRST community by helping implement the projects and initiatives the SLB creates
The SLB shall be compromised of:
- Between 8-16 students, currently enrolled in grades 10, 11 or 12.
- Members must be active team members of FTC or FRC.
- We’ll aim for a diverse board, including gender, location throughout Iowa and program diversity.
Council Member Terms
Members will have a one-year term and can apply for a second year based on their attendance and contribution during their first year on the council.
- Members will be on the SLB for a one-year term (ex. August 1, 2023– July 31, 2024).
- It is assumed the participants who graduate before completing their term are considered to have completed their term on the SLB.
- If the member is a sophomore or junior when selected for Dean’s List, the member will have the option to remain on the Board for a second or third year. This is voluntary.
As per the guidelines, it is expected once members finish their term, they will return to their FIRST communities and help to roll out Board-based initiatives. This will allow for the Board’s message and goals to be more widespread across FIRST Iowa communities. This also gives members who are done their term a way to still be connected to and assist the Council.
Student council members must currently be a high school participant in Iowa and an active member of an FTC or FRC team (for the 2023-2024 season) or have previously been a participant on an FTC or FRC team for at least one year.
Complete this form if you'd like to apply to be on the 2023-2024 Student Leadership Board.
Timeline: Applications will be accepted until September 12, 2023. We will interview candidates and the Board term will begin October 1, 2023.
Note: Applicants must also upload a letter of recommendation from a coach or mentor (not parent/guardian) about their leadership on the team.