Each semester, the DEI Council plans to grant professional development awards of up to $500 each to students in the College of Engineering (undergraduate or graduate). The awards are available to encourage and facilitate student opportunities to participate virtually or in person in national/international meetings, symposia, conferences, or other professional development opportunities that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is a rolling submission deadline, which means you can apply at any time.
Please note: If many members of the same student group intend to apply for the same opportunity, we encourage you to apply as a Group.
To be eligible for a DEI Council Professional Development Award you must:
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student in the College of Engineering.
- Provide a brief statement (1/2 a page) of how attending this conference will contribute towards your professional development goals regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion (upload in Qualtrics survey).
- Provide documentation (in the Qualtrics survey) of the conference or training you will attend (or have attended), by providing the website, program, etc. The conference/training/activity must be demonstrably related to promoting or facilitating diversity, equity, and inclusion. For example, you might attend the NSBE, SHPE, AISES, SACNAS or other similar conferences or trainings virtually, or the conference program must somehow address DEI-related issues.
- Travel or participation between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021. All funds must be spent by June 10 for summer travel – please speak to your department administrator.
If you are selected to receive a DEI Council Professional Development Award, you must:
- Provide all receipts for reimbursement.
- Work with your departmental administrator to complete the Travel Expense Voucher (if applicable) after you return.
- If, for any reason, you will not attend the conference or training, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org so that your award can be directed to another applicant.
- Provide a follow-up report (one-two paragraphs) and photos (if possible) to email@example.com within a month of completing your activity.
Professional Development Grant Awardees: Fall 2019
In the Fall of 2019, students were awarded funds to attend the National GEM Consortium, the NSBE Regional Conference, the SHPE Regional Conference, and the SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference